The thrust of this research is centered on the impact of performance evaluation employees job performance with emphases on Federal Polythecnic Auchi.
Given the special nature of polythecnics as producers as well as consumer of high level man power and the fact that investment in human capital is long term in nature. The operation of the impending rationalization exercise in polythecnics, must be baseless or rough estimate and human judgment. But emphases should be more objective criteria, scientifically determine and verifiable over time and space. This study proposes the use of full time equivalent in determining student enrolment and workload index as an alternative resource allocation measure for determining the required academic staff in Federal Polythecnic Auchi.
In recent times, there has being a clarion call for the need to increase productivity, efficiency and effectiveness in every sector of the economy. This has resulted in a drastic rationalization exercises in various government ministries geared at minimizing recurrent expenditure by reducing waste, duplications and redundancies. In highlighting on the evaluation exercises, Adedoyin Soyibo (1983) asserted that people who should not have been adversely affected by the exercise have found themselves retired, primarily because of the lack of objective indices for determining the existence of waste and redundancies. It is believed that Federal Polythecnic, Auchi will not be exempted from the crucial exercise, performance evaluation.
Performance evaluation according to Beach D. S. 1980 as cited in Okoh A. O. (2005) is the systematic evaluation of the individual with respect to his performance on the job and his potential for development. Given the special native of universities as producers as well as consumers of high level of human capital. The performance evaluation exercise must be based less on rough estimates and human judgment but more on objective criteria, scientifically determined and as well verifiable over time. Literarily performance evaluation and allocation is the measurement of performance against standards. But when further explained it denotes a reward or consideration for specific type or level of performance is attached either as a reprisal specific type or level of performance or encouragement for outstanding performance. Therefore the achievement of any organizational objective through performance evaluation is to identify those factors responsible for all the inconsistencies in human behaviour in the work place.
The importance of this research study cannot be over emphasized. The research is centered on the use of workload index as an alternative resource allocation measure for determining the required number of academic and non-academic staff in Federal Polythecnic, Auchi. In the same vain the index level to be used to identify units or department of Federal Polythecnic, Auchi , where existing staff is overworked or underworked hence the need for more staff or indicating the existence and magnitude of redundancy.
In the nutshell, the index performs the double function of performance evaluation and resource allocation.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE RESEARCH PROBLEM
In every research study undertaken is as a result of problems. The ability to design a performance evaluation to assess high level manpower especially in Federal Polythecnic, Auchi have been a serious problem. The Federal Ministry of Education need to identify the inconsistencies in human behaviour in the work place and draw an effective appraisal policy that seek to identify problems of inefficiency in order to provide adequate satisfaction and good work environment for the staff.
Furthermore, the evaluation of performance will always be problematic because the workers believes that expression and personal loyalty to the superior are more important and expected than efficient and effective contribution to achieve job objective.
The research problems are put in question form which the researcher seek to find out as stated below:
1. What are the various strategies (systems) that can be adopted for performance evaluation and job performance in Federal Polythecnic, Auchi?
2. What are the rationale of performance evaluation and staff performance in Federal Polythecnic, Auchi?
3. What are the various problems associated with performance evaluation and employees performance in Federal Polythecnic, Auchi?
4. Apart from the prescribed NUC performance evaluation and staff in Nigeria universities, and polythecnis, which appraisal methods or techniques can be adopted?
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The objectives of any research are usually a mirror image of the research questions and the knowledge gap it intends to fill. Therefore, the objectives of this study are as follows:
1. To examine the strategies or systems adopted for performance evaluation and staff performance in Federal Polythecnic, Auchi.
2. To find out the rationale for performance evaluation and staff performance in Federal Polythecnic, Auchi.
3. To ascertain any other performance evaluation and staff performance techniques to be adopted apart from the NUC exiting system.
4. To determine the various problems associated with performance evaluation and employees peformance in Federal Polythecnic, Auchi.
1.4 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
It is a certainly that knowledge is expensive and unending. On this note the scope of this study is limited to analysis, carried out on performance evaluation and emplyees peformance in Federal Polythecnic, Auchi. The study lasted for a period of 2011/2012 session.
1.5 RELEVANCE OF THE STUDY
The relevance of this study cannot be over-emphasized. It is my view that this study will contribute greatly to existing stock of knowledge on the topic of this nature. In addition to the above, it will be of great relevance in the following ways.
1. It will assist the polythecnic in carrying out performance evaluation.
2. It will paves way to detect inefficiency and necessary corrective measures.
3. It will be of great benefit to the private organizations in assessing or appraising their employees in order to increase productivity.
4. It will act as a guide post to null in assessing staff performance and allocation in Nigerian polythecnics.
5. It will assist in planning for the future in business environment.
|Department||Business Administration and Management|
|Project ID Code||BAM0289|
|No of Pages||118 pages|
|Contact Us On||+2347043069458|